Thursday, June 18, 2009

DIY Flagpole

DIY Flagpole -- less than $100!

I've been wanting a flag in our yard for quite a while. I've done some research, and all of the stuff I find is either too flimsy, or too expensive. I saw a website where a guy made his flagpole with 2" galvanized water pipe. I thought I could do the same thing here. Instead of using water pipe, I went with SS20 fence pipe -- the same as I used for our posts on the fence. It came in 24 foot lengths, so I was able to get a 20 foot pole no problem.

Parts list
3" pipe, 4' long $16.24
2 1/2" pipe, 24' long $56.38
1/4" x 4-1/4" clothes line hook $1.04
1-1/4" Utility Pulley $2.79
4 - 1/2" Rope Cleat $1.93
1/4" rope, 50' long $9.97
Concrete (I used two bags) $5.00

First, I dug a hole for the sleeve (the 3 inch pipe) about 36" deep. I stuck the sleeve out of the ground so that debris doesn't get stuck down in there. I dug out a whole lot of ground so I could put lots of concrete in there. I would guess the hole is about 15" around at the top, and is bell-shaped, so it's wider as you go down. I plumbed that using one of the 8' fenceposts I had left, and let it cure while we were on vacation.

Next, I took the pole, added the cap, and drilled a hole for the clothesline hook. My clothesline hook had threaded end on it for nuts, so I put one nut on each side of the pipe. This length worked really well for this size pipe, I don't have a lot sticking out the back, so it looks really nice.

I attached the pulley to the hook, and strung up the rope into the pulley, tying it into a knot so it wouldn't fall out when we raised the pole. Here's detail of the top so you can see how the hook and pulley are setup.

Next, we raised the pole and put it into the ground sleeve. This was not too hard, but is definitely a two man job. I aligned the hook and pulley facing the north-east (our winds normally come from south west), so I thought this might help keep the flag untangled.

Once the pole was in position, I used self-tapping screws to attach the rope cleat at a comfortable height. I made sure it was directly below the pulley. Next, I trimmed the halyard (rope) so it wasn't too long, and tied a knot in it. I attached my snap hooks so that one was above & below the knot. This way, the knot doesn't interfere with raising/lowering the flag, and if the knot should com undone while the flag is up, the flag will hold the line together long enough for me to get it lowered. Worst case scenario, though, would be having to pull the pole down. Not too difficult if necessary.

I asked the guy at the flag store what size I should get, he suggested 3x5. I had seen this before, but I really wanted something different. After talking with him for a while, he convinced me to stay with the 3x5 size. I think it looks great. I have ordered another flag from our senator, I plan on using this flag for special occasions (Fourth of July, Presidents Day, Veterans Day, etc.). It's a 5x8 cotton flag, so it will be HUGE. It will be flown over the capitol in Washington before they send it to me. Getting flags this way is also very economical. The Nylon 3x5 I got locally was $42.00. This larger, cotton flag was only $28.00. Nylon was cheaper still. It does take a while (12 - 16 weeks), but I think it will be worth the wait to have something special.

I've very happy with how this turned out. I think it enhances our yard's appearance, and it wasn't difficult. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.








P

1 comment:

Laura said...

Way cool! You could probably advertise and put up lots of flag poles in Happy. I think it is neat that you ordered the "special" flag, that'll be a cool thing to share with the kids!