Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Bressler's spring break 2009






Well this spring break was wonderful! We went camping with in our camper trailer. We started out Friday and went to Lubbock because Ben was having to do some work that evening at the office there. We parked our trailer at my Uncle's house and spent the night there, it was alot of fun to visit with them.

Saturday afternoon we were off to my grandparents house @ Stanford lake. We stayed with them for 3 nights. We woke up the first morning and went fishing on the dock, it was still cold that morning from the weekend cold front that had moved in that past weekend. We had been fishing maybe 5 minutes and Hayes fell in off the dock (he did have his life jacket on) Ben grabbed him out and I took him back to the house (on a golf cart) What a cold ride home... poor guy. Well right after I left I guess our new puppy (Otis) decided to jump in so here comes Ben up to the house with all the fishing poles, tackle box, Jayden, Pace and a wet cold dog. We set the wet cold boys by the fire and gave up on fishing that morning.

Later on that day after lunch it was time for me to go on run. I asked my grandparents if this was a safe place to run no dogs etc... to get me? They said my grandma walks every day and hasn't ever had a problem so off I went 6 miles was the plan. Well I was running laps that were a mile and a half so I needed to do 4. I completed my first lap no problems. I was half way through my second lap and out of no where there was a HUGE dog by the calf of my right leg growling at me! My first instinct was to get away so on the other side of me was a barb wire fence so I tried climbing this (not so smart!) Then I looked for a big stick in the ditch beside me and all I could find was tumble weed sticks... Finally I just yelled at the stupid dog and he ran off (I can yell really good) lol Anyways after it all I noticed my hands were all bloody from trying to climb the barb wire fence. I think the dog had came out of a house that someone had left the door open on. I went back the way I came away from the dog back to my grandparents and felt like crying the whole way back. I called 3 miles good and did not run the rest of the vacation in unknown territory.

The rest of the time at the lake we fished and caught nothing. But I did get a good tan going!

Tuesday we took off to Fort Griffin SP in Albany TX. We went in to town in Albany which has the neatest shops to shop at and looked around then went to eat at the famous Bee Hive Saloon or steak house. Then the next day we hiked around the fort (what a neat place) the kids loved the old buildings and the history lesson with it. We also went on lots of hikes on trails at the park. Our campsite at the the park was awesome right out our door of our camper was the brazos river. We fished but still caught nothing????

Thursday we set off to our last destination... Copper breaks SP between Crowell and Quannah. We arrived late afternoon only to find out the camp was full!! The park ranger suggested we could rough it for a night in the tent site area till one of the hookup sites were available. We agreed so we roughed it for a night it was fun for one night to do this. The next morning we got our site with water and electricity we stayed 2 more nights. During our time at copper breaks we fished at the pond till dusk (still no fish!!! Jayden did catch a tea bag??? it was pretty funny) But it was worth our while because I saw these things flying around and they turned out to be bats!!! We had never seen bats in the open before. We also hiked so much at copper breaks they have tons of hiking trails. One evening we set off on a small hike from our site to the playground the map showed the trail being straight down from our site, well we got lost and it was dusk. The cayotes were howling and we were in the middle of brush trying to find a trail out... the kids were freaking out about the cayotes they were loud. We finally found a paved road before the light went completely away. But we recognized this road and it was a longways up to our camp about three miles. So what else could we do so we started the long road back Ben carried Pace I carried Hayes and Jayden carried a very tired puppy (Otis). We arrived in the dark back to our site and we went to bed we were so tired. We laughed about it the next day.

We also ate too good on our trip alot of smores we had a campfire almost every night.

We returned home Sunday and were ready to be home although we had lots of fun.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Glad to know that other people have the same kinds of adventures we do. It is sometimes more fun when they don't go as planned. I'm hoping we can all go to the lake together this summer. The McBrooms are planning on going to Ute again.
Glad the dog didn't get you!