Tuesday, February 16, 2010

High Fructose Corn syrup

I went grocery shopping yesterday..... The boys wanted cereal which I don't usually buy for them. I decided to treat them and buy it for them.... well I was determined to find a healthy kind that the ingredients and vitamins were as healthy as the box said it was. Some of those cereals claim to have the best nutrition and you turn the box over and read the nutrition facts and the ingridients and it tells another story. Most all the cereals had high fructose corn syrup in them... yuck! High Fructose corn syrup has alot to do with the obesity problem in the United States today. Obesity then leads to all kinds of high blood pressure problems, diabetes, and heart problems. I also don't like the artificial sugar stuff I think that stuff puts foreign things in you blood stream that eventually have their own line of unhealthy side affects.
In researching the cereal boxes I found that there is only a few cereals that suit me. Here are a few:
• Cheerios
• Kashi (most, if not all)
• Life ceral (regular and cinnamon)
• Nature’s Pride Organic (most, if not all, varieties)
• Trader Joe’s Graham Bites Cereal

I was excited about Cheerios being ok! I ended up buying them. I also found that most of the products in the store contain the High Fructose Corn syrup. Like your healthy wheat bread..... yikes I was surprised at that. We make our own bread here so we were safe. It is crazy what all High Fructose Corn syrup is in..... I am going to be checking labels for sure on everything for now on cause you never know where you'll find it.

2 comments:

Teacher said...

Ok I just have one question, how do you possibly find time to do all that you do? Everytime I read your blog I am amazed!!!

Laura said...

Corn syrup is in lots of things--we found that out when my niece found out she was allergic to corn.
I'm excited that Life cereal made your list!