Tonight I tried a new recipe for supper. The last time we went to the grocery store we picked up fresh turnip greens and collard greens. We always buy greens in a can so we decided to make them fresh since everything seems better that way. So tonight I made them home made collard greens yum! They are way better than canned. So in the fall maybe I can grow my own to can my own.
| BIG DADDY JAY'S COLLARD GREENS | |
2 bunches collard greens 1 or 2 ham hocks 4 to 6 cups chicken broth 1 onion 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or chili) flakes 2 tablespoons brown sugar 2 tablespoons vinegar 2 tablespoons lard 1 teaspoons salt Wash collards and cut off large stems; cut into 1 inch strips. In a large stock pot, brown onion and ham hocks in lard (Note: Olive oil can be substituted). Add chicken broth and collards. Cook over medium-low heat for 30-45 minutes. Stir in red pepper or chili flakes, sugar and vinegar. Continue cooking until collards are tender. Adjust seasoning to your taste and enjoy. | |
I put in tabasco, tony's creole seasoning, and garlic powder. This is a keeper for sure!
No comments:
Post a Comment